Friday, September 16, 2005

The Great Raid

Napanood na ba ninyo ang The Great Raid? I am so proud of our dear own Cesar Montano in this movie - he surely gave Benjamin Bratt competition for the overacting award.

The movie tells of the rescue of prisoners from a POW camp in Cabanatuan City during the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. Under Mr. Bratt's command, the rescue mission was greatly assisted by the Philippine resistance fighters led by Mr. Montano's character.(I heard from pinoy sources that Cesar has packed his bags and moved to Hollywood to answer the numerous movie calls from the land of milk and honey. Way to go Cesar!)

While the background sceneries are totally unfamiliar (I think they shot this film in Australia), the pinoy extras will definitely elicit some "Uy! Si ano yun oh!" reactions from very discerning pinoy fans. (Maya quickly pointed out the presence of Rez Cortez in one scene).

Joseph Fiennes and James Franco both give decent performances in the movie, even though Joe teeters on overacting as well. But, hey, we'll forgive him. You wanna know why? Because he says "Cabanatuan" correctly, and because he IS Joseph Fiennes and we luvvv Joseph Fiennes!

All in all, it is a watchable film, especially for those who like war and POW films. I enjoyed it because I got to see true pinoys pitting brooding skills with big hollywood names. At hindi tayo nagpatalo. Bravo Cesar!

No comments: